Wednesday 8 April 2015

Banishhead - the day of the partial Eclipse




I'm catching up, not having immediate access to a computer means that down loading photos can be a pain at the moment.I continue to take them and then have a mountain of photos to download.But a blog wouldn't be a blog without some photos so I've saved this one till now.


I've been meaning to walk up to Banishead quarry for a while now. I saw a photo of it on a favourite facebook page of mine called "I love the Lake District" last year and it was added to my bucket list.



It was the day of the partial eclipse, a grey and dreary day,but I had to take my daughter to the optician and return her to school in Coniston mid morning so I figured that I'd stop off in Torver on my return. The signs weren't good,drizzle, cloud,not good for the photography at all.





Anyway I have a C2B to practice for so I parked the car next to Torver church,dropped a donation in the honesty box and set off along the road and across to a bend from where a track took me up the hill side, past a farm and several holiday cottages and small caravan sites and then up a walled track into open woodland.



As I came out of the trees the sun began to shine and I was alone ,not a person in sight!



I could see old slate quarries ahead and I walked along the well made track towards them, taking photos as I went.









As I reached the banks of slate a rough path took me up between them

and this was my reward.Totally out the blue!  A deep  quarry surrounded by fencing and a still deep pool below, It made up totally for the failure of the eclipse to appear in our darkened skies!



Definitely worth the walk and next time I will be venturing further to Coniston



My dad says he used to fish up there as I child. I don't think this was written by him but you never know!

http://www.torver.org/torver-history/banishead-quarry

No comments:

Post a Comment